When are Omanis ever going to learn to stay away from wadis (dry riverbeds) after heavy rain? The weather this week has been a little crazy in most areas up north with heavy wind, rain, hail, and of course ... running wadis.
I was just watching the news a little while ago and to be honest, I had NO IDEA how bad it was. The footage was dramatic, but the number of people who tried to cross wadis is just ... meh.
1. The weather is expected to start calming down in the next 24 hours. Rain & hail still expected in some areas up north. The ocean is wild along the entire coast of Oman (including Dhofar). People are advised to stay out of the ocean until tomorrow night.
2. Running wadis are DANGEROUS.
3. Many vehicles (people in them) was caught in running wadis. Some people lost thier lives. Others are missing.
4. Several families were rescued by helicopter from the roofs of their homes after being surrounded by water.
5. A few people were airlifted out of Rustaq and to hospitals because the roads were blocked.
6. In North Sharqiya six people went missing in a wadi. Two were pulled out alive. The other four are still missing and it does not look hopeful.
7. Another vehicle in Sinao with a family of four was pulled into a wadi and the ROP are trying to rescue them now. Another four vehicles were pulled into Wadi Al Batha in Sinao with families. Helicopters are on the move to find them.
8. Nine people were rescued from Wadi Abu Dhalma in Al Qabil.
9. ROP helicopters are looking for the body of a 4 year-old in Al Batinah who fell into a wadi while playing nearby. WHERE THE HELL WERE HIS PARENTS AND WHAT THE HELL WAS HE DOING NEAR A RUNNING WADI?
10. In Al Dahira 3 bodies were pulled out of Wadi Al Fatah . One is Omani. Ther other two are from the UAE.
11. In Al Seeb a family got stuck in a wadi in their car. They were rescued and are doing well.
12. Nine light posts & a couple of electricity poles fell over due to heavy winds near Bait Al Baraka roundabout.
13. A truck full of people is stuck at Wadi Hotum in Bidiya.
14. Wadis in Al Khoudh are running like mad. ROP are trying to block roads there to keep people away.
STAY. AWAY. FROM. WADIS.