Sunday, June 17, 2012

Frankincense Ice Cream!


Morning Folks! I have not one, but TWO exciting pieces of news from Salalah for you this morning: First of all: *drumroll* .... IT'S RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (in fact, in rained all night.... is monsoon/khareef really five days early? There were real puddles in my garden this morning)

And.... Last year I blogged about  Trygve Harris who has become something of a celebrity here in Salalah and for good reason too! During the Khareef Festival 2011 she set up a kiosk in Al Haffa Souq and sold her infamous frankincense ice cream. She has been distilling frankincense in Salalah for the past five years or so for her essential oils and aromatics shop in New York City . She then started experimenting with ice cream and now she's become quite a sensation. She was featured in CN Traveler this week as well. (photo above from the CNT piece). So, ..... are you in Salalah this week? Are you interested in trying out her local Dhofari ice creams? If your answer is yes, read the following:

A Japanese TV film crew has been in Salalah for a month to film a documentary about frankincense. As part of the documentary, Trygve is hosting an ice cream tasting event that they'll be filming  in Al Haffa Souq on Monday June 18th (that's tomorrow) at 6:00 p.m . Frankincense ice cream will be available for everyone. You may be filmed and asked what you think of the ice cream. New flavors will be available as well including Chai Hakim, Darbat Jasmine, and Salalah milk banana. I have tried all four flavors and can tell you they're DIVINE. I highly recommend dropping by the Souq tomorrow at 6:00 p.m for some ice cream.

She'll also be selling ice cream from now until Ramadhan (pickup or delivery available). Call her at 959 23 772 . She also sells coffee ice cream, chocolate ice cream, frankincense oil, frankincense water, and myrrh water. (adding a few drops of frankincense water to Dhofari red tea is amazing)

And no, I'm not her marketing agent. I'm just a fan who's obsessed with her ice cream. Do drop by tomorrow evening at 6:00 p.m at Haffa Souq! Should be fun (rumor has it that some members of the Japanese film crew speak fluent Arabic .... ) ... Keep your eyes peeled for a pair of pink grill shades :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delish!

    Does she sell in Muscat as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow fascinating. Its hard to imagine the taste of frankincense as a flavor in food. I'd be wiling to try though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no clue that frankincense could be used as a flavor for ice cremes, I would love to taste it though! I am crazy about frankincense after coming to Oman, my one wish is to visit Salalah just to look at these tress, before I leave Oman. Thanks for sharing this info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can confirm that frankincense ice cream tastes amazing. The frankincense tastes exactly as it smells (if that makes any sense!). I'm so glad this ice-cream is more readily available now. Must call in an order (just as soon as I finish my diet, haha!)

    ReplyDelete