Friday, September 14, 2012

Possible Friday Protests?

It's still raining in Salalah. Nice big puddles outside my front door this morning. Anyway, this post isn't about my love for rain. It's about a ridiculous situation. If you haven't been following the news, drag yourself out of your little shell and find out what's going on. International media has informed us that several countries in the Middle East have witnessed protests in front of US Embassies since the tragic attack on the US embassy in Libya that resulted in the death of its ambassador and other diplomats. Although media outlets claim the Libya attack was caused by the STUPID movie that one moron made about the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH), I think that's highly doubtful. Many other elements were involved. Anyway, the Libya protests triggered a chain reaction (naturally, because that's how we roll in the ME).  
 
There 'may' have been a few ignorant protesters in front of the US embassy in Muscat yesterday. The embassy dutifully sent a warning email to all American citizens in Oman because they had to. The situation does not appear to be dangerous at all. Read more on Muscat Mutterings here.
 
As for Salalah, there were calls yesterday to protest in central Salalah after evening prayers, but I have not heard of anything and I assume ROP officers were informed beforehand and on the scene before anyone else got there. Today is Friday and I ASSUME the sermon inthe mosques in a couple of hours will be about this whole drama. I'm PRAYING that the sermon reminds people that one moron filmmaker is in no way related to their faith. I'm PRAYING that the sermon is positive and encourages people to follow Islam peacefully, and to hell with morons.
 
I condemn stupidity. I don't give a damn about some idiot and his film. The US government has nothing to do with this, nor do innocent embassy employees. Almost everyone I know thinks the protests are beyond stupid. Practice your faith, be peaceful, and be a GOOD EXAMPLE. All you protesters are just setting us back a thousand miles. Islam is peaceful. Your version is wacked.
 
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" ~ B.M

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said Nadia. Hopefully the naive and uninformed will take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written, dear Nadia. Oman fortunate to have a blogger like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for your blog! It's always a pleasure for me reading your posts! We live so far away but we have same thoughts!

    ReplyDelete