Monday, April 7, 2014

Five Years

Five years ago today Dhofari Gucci came to life. I was sitting in my living room fuming at something (ok .. someone) and I was scribbling furiously in my diary. Unfortunately, my hand wasn't moving fast enough. This is when I decided to start a blog since my typing skills are top notch. I told myself "Nadia, honey, why not start a blog to write everything down... don't worry, no one will read it but at least you know your thoughts will be preserved somewhere out there on the world wide web". 

So I sat down at my laptop and created Dhofari Gucci. The reason I chose the name is a long story that I'll save for some other time, but the idea behind the blog is something I will share. 

You see, I love writing. As a child all I wanted were paper and sharpened pencils. I started scribbling down notes and thoughts and ideas from a very early age. In fact, I wrote a 237-page novel at the age of 13 about a girl called Sarah Spindle, my alter-ego. I liked the idea of having an alter-ego, particuarly in Salalah where girls are constantly told to act and behave in a certain way. Having an alter-ego meant I could live something that I couldn't in real life. Going to a public girls' school in Salalah was not my favourite experience. 

Books and writing to me were often more real than anything in my own life. I have spent half my life with my nose in a book, but one eye peaking over the top taking note of what is happening around me. The other half has been spent scribbling notes. If you peak into my purse, you'll find paper, notebooks, and at least five pens. I write everywhere. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to write a book or novel about Dhofar. A human being close to my heart once referred to Dhofar and its people as a 'Living Museum' which is the truest description I've ever encountered for my region. 

Dhofar is fascinating. Its people, traditions, culture, landscape, insanity, connections, tribes, contradictions, things that drive you crazy, conformity,support, everything. I've been taking notes for my 'book' for years. One day I'll write it, even if I'm a little old lady.

 In early 2009 I read a novel by award-winning author Isabel Allende... well, I've read all her novels actually, the first being House of the Spirits. For some reason beyond my comprehension, I wrote to her in early 2009. I told her how much I loved her books and then I proceeded to describe Dhofar and my dreams of becoming a writer. Lo and behold she wrote back within half an hour. She was sitting at her writing table in San Francisco early in the morning and my email was the first to grab her attention. Maybe I was lucky. She wrote to tell me to WRITE WRITE WRTIE. She told me I could do it and that the secret was to write one page a day. She then asked for postal address so she could send me some books that would help me. Yes, this story actually happened. I still have the big brown envelope that arrived at my little post office in Salalah from her. 

Because of this encounter, I  toyed with the idea of starting a blog. I figured it's the easiest way to write one page a day. Over the past five years the changes in my life that have taken place because of this blog have been overwhelming. I met some of my closest friends ( V & W!) and closest humans (WP) through this blog. I have attended many blog meet-ups in Oman and have met some incredible human beings. The number of journalists and researchers who have contacted me is insane. International and local publications have contacted me to do some writing for them on Oman/Dhofar/Salalah. Sometimes I obliged and other times I had to turn offers down because of time. 

My inbox was overflowing with emails, requests, questions. People moving to Salalah for the first time would email me for advice and tips. I would put them in touch with other people I know who could help. I have been invited to attended countless conferences and workshops around the world. Many times I accepted and went, other times I had to turn down offers due to the time issue again. When you Google Dhofar, chances are I'm the first thing that pops up. My journey through Dhofari Gucci has been CRAZY and WONDERFUL.

I know I've been slow with blogging lately but that's because I had to prioritize in life. You see, I'm doing a graduate degree on a topic that I'm passionate about. Those of you who know me understand. For the readers who complain that I've been a lazy blogger, please forgive me. I intend to return to blogging full-time in the very near future. I totally love this blog and everyone who reads it (excluding the internet trolls who constantly accuse me to hanging Dhofar's dirty laundry for the world to see). 

My focus in writing has always been Dhofar and particuarly the struggles of women. Female empowerment, change, marriage, love, working, society, tribalism, female genital mutilation, and any taboo subject out there. It's what I'm passionate about. Occasionally there has been the viral post here and there (hint: my letter to the CEO of Oman Air, who resigned recently). My posts have been a mix of humor, anger, and passion. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but you can't please everyone. 

So, the bottom-line is, thank you for reading my outbursts. Thank you for passing through. Thank you for emailing me. Thank you for adding me to your blog-roll. Thank you for inviting me to your conferences in all corners of the earth. Thank you for getting in touch and meeting me for coffee. I'm a busy person but I try my very best to make time for people. I'm a firm believer that everyone who passes through my life (even for a cup of coffee) was brought to me for a reason. I wouldn't be who I am today without you (yes you, reading this). It has been a wonderful journey, a very personal one, and one that will continue. 

Yours truly from my little corner in Salalah, Gucci

22 comments:

  1. Mabroook Nadia
    You are amazing, you are a very talented writer.
    I must tell you that your blog(you) was the main reason that pushed me to create my own blog and am sure you have inspired a lot of followers.
    Thank you for this blog, writing, and for your effort to make the world around you more better.
    Go Nadia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to read your book, whenever you publish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on 5 amazing years Nadia - I've enjoyed it and hope to enjoy if for another 5 years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is Oman's best English blog written by an Omani. The truth must be told. Keep up the insane posts.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the writing Nadia! Your readers love your posts!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations , Nadia

    You have done well what we are looking for and, Indeed ,preparing to do the same for the sake of beloved Dhofar.

    To be frankly with you, I am proud of you and your way of thinking. I have learned from you many appreciated attitudes. so, please return back as you was to blog, to tell us , to inspire us , encourage us and to complete ur fantastic journey . Really, we will not be able to miss your scribbling nor to let down yours without passing by.

    Regards,
    على الطائر

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulationa Nadia,

    You have done well what we are looking for and, Indeed ,preparing to do the same for the sake of beloved Dhofar.

    To be frankly with you, I am so proud of you and your way of thinking. I have learned from your Blog many appreciated attitudes. So, please return back as you was to blog, to tell us , to inspire us , encourage us and to complete ur fantastic journey . Really, we will not be able to miss your scribbling nor to let down yours without passing by.

    May ALLAH protect you and Keep you save and healthy where you are.

    Regards,

    على الطائر

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your blog. Many things you write, vivid and emotional, sincere and well written - resonate with me although I come from a totally different country and culture.

    Thanks for this post :) Now I understand why you write so well, that it's not something random but because you've been passionate about writing since an early age. Good luck and I hope to read your book (books) or magazine articles one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its been a genuine pleasure reading, and meeting you Nadia. Keep. It. Up. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog has been very interesting to me while I travel to Salalah as a Scandinavian tourist. I have learned a lot which I would not have been able to learn otherwise, which enriches my stay in Salalah and deepens my knowledge of Dhofar life. Glad you will keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking about that dirty linen thing a while back and it occurred to me that, far from showing it in a bad light, this blog was one of the reasons I came to love Oman. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I luv your blog!...your writing is so relatable and candid. Im a newbie in the blogging world. Still taking baby steps through my blog. I love how varied your topics are. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep it up, Nadia! LOVE your blog! Like someone else said, it's nice for expats to have blogs here in Oman but it's so much more eye-opening to read a blog by an Omani in English! Always remember that your fans FAR outnumber the trolls out there! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are amazing Dhofar Gucci, your writings are beyond description - I have learnt allot about Dhofar and its people in your blogs. In fact just yesterday I returned to Muscat from a week in Salalah. I wish there were other similar bloggers from other regions of Oman. Keep writing and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. While I hated you anonymously in Canada for comments on niqab on another blog (there the issue is different, than it is in Oman) living here, l understand now your veiwpoint and why it was different than mine.

    I've always enjoyed learning about Dhofar, since it is the one region of Oman I have no Omani friends from, and know the littlest about. It helps to keep me from becoming prejudices, from the things other regions of Oman (Omanis) tell me about Dhofaris lol.

    I always read your blog posts when I see a new one on my blog roll, and would find a book/novel or what have you about your region of the country fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for staying away from local politics.

    Mti

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Nadia,

    I really like your blog and I read it for several years now (though I never left comments). I really admire your social activism, courage, attitude as well as your writing talent. Concerning the unsolicited 'advice' you are bombarded with on a daily basis, I do agree with your assessment that they do it with the best intentions at heart but that doesn't change the fact that you outgrew your environment. And that is always a positive thing. We are all made to grow as persons and human beings. This doesn't diminish the worth of your current surrounding, it just shows that you as a person gained a broader perspective. You should be proud of yourself. The only problem with that is that now you are very capable of understanding and accepting the people around you and their various views and values, but sadly this relation is not necessarily a two-way highway. I liked reading this blog on the subject http://www.examiner.com/article/inner-changes-and-outgrowing-your-environment.


    All the best,

    Lils


    PS. I also come from a tightly knit patriarchal society (albeit from some other part of the world) and I really feel for what you are trying to convey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! 5 years! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just recently stumbled onto your quirky blog as I started researching a possible move from Bahrain to Salalah next September. You've got a raw, beautiful descriptive quality to your writing that weaves images in my mind while I'm reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete