I'm exhausted. It's been a long day. Here's a mini-summary of the past 48 hours:
(1) Protests continue in Sohar & Salalah
(2) Protests in Salalah quiet and peaceful
(3) Protests in Sohar violent.
(4) Police shot 2 dead (confirmed) in Sohar and maybe up to 4 (last I heard an hour ago)
(5) Tear gas and rubber bullets used on protesters in Sohar.
(6) Police in Salalah snoozing in their cars while protesters sit peacefully opposite the governor's office.
(7) Protesters claim they're not moving until their demands have been fulfilled
(8) Their plan seems to have worked.
(9) His Majesty reshuffles ministers around last night. Royal decrees can be read here.
(10) Protesters still not satisfied
(11) His Majesty (as of a few minutes ago) announced a monthly compensation package of 150 OMR for each registered unemployed person in the country. Where did THAT money come from?
(12) His Majesty has also announced the 'creation' of 50,000 jobs. Sounds highly suspicious. Where did the 50,000 come from?
(13) Huge protests expected on Tuesday March 1st all over the country.
(14) If you live in Salalah, RELAX. There's no violence and it's safe to go outside. The protesters have congregated in front of the Minister's office. There are no protests anywhere else in town. It's not even called a protest anymore. It's a peaceful 'sit-in'. Send them cookies if you want.
Read Muscat Mutterings for more details. I'm cross-eyed. Cheers.