Friday, June 14, 2013

Khareef on the horizon....

So in case you haven't noticed, Salalah is DEAD HUMID. My energy starts to drain the moment I step out of my house in the morning. My glasses fog up and my mascara starts to melt. I spend an extra two or three hours at work in the afternoon simply to avoid having to go out into the heat and humidity. Leaving work at 6 pm when the sun is disappearing is more attractive these days than leaving work at 3. That's how much I dislike this kind of weather. I avoid going out in the evening, I avoid errands, I avoid socializing.... it's just too hot.
 
Nevertheless, the horrid humidity in June is the build-up to the monsoon (Khareef). The ocean is in full monsoon swing already and we're all counting the days until the skies open up and the first drop of rain lands on the tip of my nose, probably at 7:30 am on June 21st. I'm willing to bet.
 
This year, the holy month of fasting (Ramadhan) is expected around July 9th depending on the moon. It will last probably until August 7th or 8th (again - depending on the moon). The Salalah Tourism Festival is set to start on the 2nd day of Eid Al Fitr (probably August 9th) and will end 25 days later (depending on the moon! If we depended on the moon a little more, the world would be a better place).
 
The invasion of tourists will probably start in the last days of Ramadhan. The government has promised there will be no fuel shortage this year (remember last year?) and I'm yet to see results of the 15 million rials that have been set aside to improve 'efficiency' during Dhofar tourist season.
 
On another note, there's a CNN video on Oman's First Chocolatiers (Salma's chocolates if you remember my post) . I've always been fascinated with how chocolates are made. The video answered my question.
 
Finally, I noticed the sign up for Home Centre at Salalah Gardens Mall (our new monster of a mall across from Lulu). I look forward to tasteful furniture and home items at last in Salalah. The current selection we have in town is nothing short of horrid.
 
And last but not least, I'm craving Pad Thai and Tom Yum Soup. Oh, Siam Kitchen, why did you close?
 
Yours Truly from in front of the air conditioner,
 
Dhofari Gucci

 

4 comments:

  1. Assalam Alaykum, sister!

    your text is very interesting indeed.
    Blessings be upon you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadia very good observation on wheather front. Totally agreed on the furniture stuff. So we all are in the same boat as far as Furniture showrooms in Salalah are concerned.Siam Kitchen was closed may be due to location.Keep up the good work and inform happenings in Salalah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog

    welcome Kareef salalah and his nice guest (Holy month,Ramadhan) . It our great feelings to see the lands turn to be green, but some of tourists' behaviour cause strong feeling of displeasure.

    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being such a big support for Salma's Chocolates, one of our mission is to promote Oman all over the world in a simple way that is chocolate named Salma which represent our culture and the peace meaning of this name. We hope to spread our chocolates not in Oman only but everywhere in this world.
    For more details on us please visit our:
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/salma.chocolates
    Website: www.salmaschocolates.com
    thenicepeople@salmaschocolates.com

    ReplyDelete