Monday, August 3, 2009

High in the Dhofar Mountains...

Ross Hayden (the photographer) wrote a beautiful poem called 'High in the Dhofar Mountains'. He sent me the link, but I thought it was too good to keep to myself; so I suggest you go ahead and check out his blog too because it's interesting and dedicated to Dhofar.
http://middleeastphotos.wordpress.com/2009/08/02/high-in-the-dhofar-mountains-a-poem-about-the-khareef/

High in the mountains – no sound…
Except for chirping sparrows, and clacking crickets,
Until the cadence of distant voices
Drifts towards me through the mist -
It lifts and, lo, a beautiful panorama unfolds:
Rolling green hills, trees and rocks growing through.
And across the next valley I spy the voices –
Picnickers perched on top of a little hill
No doubt thinking that they too were all alone…
High in the misty mountains.


As I sit and ponder the peaceful scene
‘Midst gently falling rain and friendly flies
I first hear the buzz then feel the nuzzling
Of a very hungry mosquito,
And, a few of its relatives!
Quickly I spray hands, feet and neck
With a liberal coating of anti-insect spray.
It does the trick
And I continue enjoying the pastoral setting…
High in the Dhofar mountains.


Clouds again descend
And cover the nearby hills,
And my face, with their wet kiss.
I sink into a reverie
And dream of friends and loved ones in distant places…
Only the shishing of passing vehicles on the damp road,
The gentle lowing of contented jebali cows heading home,
And the far off laughter of happy excursioners,
Tell me that I’m…
High in the green Dhofari mountains.


The peace and tranquillity of the rural scene
Soon settle the small worries of the day,
Clearing my thoughts
And reminding me of the One who made it all.
Just then a new sound enters the audio spectrum –
The distant cry of a muezzin in a mountain mosque
Calls the faithful to prayer
And I too bow my head…
High in the lush green Dhofar mountains.


© Ross Hayden, Salalah, Oman. Khareef 2000

PS (I found it rather interesting that his poem was inspired by Dr. Salim Tabook, a very interesting person. I should write about him in Dhofari Gucci. Need to gather my information first. Tips anyone?)

3 comments:

  1. You could ask any of the older Tabook’s or his neighbours in Sadah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even better ... I could Google him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I had never even heard of this place - but am overjoyed to have found it ;0) I look forward to catching up on your posts and have put you on a map of places to see before old age inshallah ;0) Peace, love and blessings Jasmine xx

    ReplyDelete